Over the past few weeks, Cyborg actor Ray Fisher has publicly criticized Warner Bros. over the studio’s handling of hisallegations regarding Joss Whedon’s behavioron the set ofJustice League. Now, it appears Fisher’s claims against Whedon started after the actor was offered a cameo role in Ezra Miller’sThe Flashfilm.
After a personal family tragedy prompted director Zack Snyder to leaveJustice Leagueduring post-production, Joss Whedon was brought on board to oversee the project and handle extensive reshoots during the summer before the DC film debuted in theaters. While Ray Fisher had previously praised Whedon as a good choice to take over directorial duties,the actor retracted his commentsin June 2020 just over a month after Snyder announced his version ofJustice Leaguewill be released on HBO Max the following year. On July 1, Fisher followed his retraction by accusing Whedon of “abusive” and “gross” behavior that was allegedly enabled by former DC Films CEO Geoff Johns and producer Jon Berg.
RELATED:Ray Fisher Says WB Used Ben Affleck’s Batman to Distract Fans
The Wrap reports that Fisher’s June comments about Whedon came after he was offereda small cameo inThe Flashin the same month. According to the outlet, studio insiders say Warner Bros. has not received a response about the offer from Fisher’s team. In a statement, Fisher’s team at Paradigm Agency and Management 360 said, “Mr.Fisheris, and has been, under contract with WB Pictures since 2014. Per the terms of that pre-negotiated contract, the option to include Mr.Fisheras the character of Victor Stone (aka Cyborg) has always rested in the hands in WB Pictures.” Warner Bros. reportedly declined to comment on the matter.
Fisher made his first appearance as Cyborg in a brief sequence featured inBatman v Supermanbefore starring inJustice Leagueas one of the lead players. A standaloneCyborgfilm was in development with a targeted 2020 release date beforethe project was stalledin late 2016. While Warner Bros. may still be waiting to hear from Fisher about the cameo, the studio is aiming to begin production onThe Flashin March 2021.
It may be worth noting that the report does not question the veracity of Fisher’s claim against Whedon and the subsequentinvestigation into his allegations. It seems, instead, that Fisher may have simply been tired of holding his tongue after being offered a mere cameo inThe Flash.
To date, the dispute between Fisher and Warner Bros. does not appear to be impacting Cyborg’s role in Zack Snyder’sJustice League.The trailer for Snyder’s cutindicated much of the material on Cyborg’s backstory, which was not included in the theatrical release, will be featured when the new edition of the DC film hits HBO Max.
Zack Snyder’sJustice Leagueis scheduled to be released on HBO Max in 2021.
MORE:Every Time Superman Turned Evil Before Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League